Re: DFSG vs Pine's legal notices: where exactly is the gotcha?

* Andrea Borgia <borgia@students.cs.unibo.it> [021110 11:18]:
> TBB>Pine prohibits the distribution of modified versions.
>
> Fine, then ship an unmodified version. Just run configure with the
> appropriate values, pack the resulting binary and we should all be set.

Sorry, but this is no option.

> My understanding of the license is that that would be perfectly fine.

For you maybe. But not for Debian.

We can not change directories to the standard( config files to /etc,
mail-spool in /var/mail) , our packages have to
follow. We can not fix bugs or even security holes.

Just Build it your own. (I think apt-get source -b pine should still work)
If you have several computers, place it somewhere only theese can get it
(see dpkg-scanpackages, if you want to install it per apt)

Hochachtungsvoll,
  Bernhard R. Link

--
<gEistiO> sagen wir mal...ich hab alle sourcen in /lost+found/waimea
<me> gEistiO: [...] Warum lost+found?