Re: [dev] Re: LZW patented file left in .orig.tar source package?

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 07:48:51PM +0000, Sander Vesik wrote:
> For some odd reason I keep hearing text along the lines of "blah blah, or
> we might decide tonot ship OOo at all" coming from Debian every now and
> then and frankly, i'm pretty sick and tired of it.

I'm sorry you regard Debian's concerns over patent infringement claims
as a personal affront to you.  They are not intended as such.

OOo is a very large, complex work with a complex licensing history.
Complex licensing requires careful scrutiny just as complex code does.
Each distributor has to make his, her, or its (in the case of companies)
decision about how careful they're willing to be.

> This is not a hostage negotiation, what, why and how much damage you
> impose upon your packagers and users is primarily your concern, not
> ours.

Thanks for respecting our autonomy.  That's part of what Free Software
is about.  At least some of us feel that exposure to patent infringement
claims from Unisys is "damage" to our developers and users that we'd
like to avoid.

Thanks for sharing your perspective with us.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     If you have the slightest bit of
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     intellectual integrity you cannot