Re: [dev] Re: LZW patented file left in .orig.tar source package?

On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 07:15:49PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:

> All Debian is trying to do is the same thing.  Debian not want to be
> subjected to patent infringment claims from Unisys.  Eliminating
> implementations of the LZW algorithm from source code that we
> distributing is one way -- probably a fairly reliable one, at that -- we
> can insulate ourselves from legal liability.

I thought that in the US at least, source code had been held to be speech
(due to the necessity for precise communication of the ideas expressed
therein) during one of the crypto cases.

There's nothing about patent law that enables it to override the constitution,
is there?

--
Nick Phillips -- nwp@lemon-computing.com
It may or may not be worthwhile, but it still has to be done.