Re: [dev] Re: LZW patented file left in .orig.tar source package?

On Sat, 26 Oct 2002, Branden Robinson wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 06:34:14PM +0100, Sander Vesik wrote:
> > Speaking as the "upstream" - it would also be definately much better if
> > everyone used just the same one tarball and there wasn't a "normal source
> > tarball" and "source tarball sans 'K' files".
>
> Speaking as a free software developer and a member of the Debian Projct,
> it would definitely be much better if you could guarantee that people
> distributing your source tarball wouldn't be sued for patent
> infringement by Unisys for doing so.

I cannot guarantee anything about what will (or will not) happen to people
when they use the sources or binaries or distribute them, in fact the
licence included explicitly says so. Its not as if Debian gives me any
gurantees as to what is *not* going to happen with me in some excotic
locale if I use / redistribute the tarballs.

> --
> G. Branden Robinson                |     Suffer before God and ye shall be
> Debian GNU/Linux                   |     redeemed.  God loves us, so He
> branden@debian.org                 |     makes us suffer Christianity.
> http://people.debian.org/~branden/ |     -- Aaron Dunsmore

	Sander

	There are voices in the street,