Re: Yet another JDK1.1 llicence question

    Anthony> Debian and denial are remarkably similar words. Quoting
    Anthony> mantras like that don't really further anyone's
    Anthony> understanding of anything. If you consider
    Anthony> stable/main/binary-i386/* to be a "product", then it's
    Anthony> completely fair and reasonable to say that
    Anthony> stable/non-free/binary-i386/* and hence the jdk is
    Anthony> "integrated" (/usr instead of /usr/local, postinst
    Anthony> scripts, etc), bundled (they're all under dists/stable)
    Anthony> and associated (they're on the same FTP site, their
    Anthony> dependencies are related, etc) with that product.

OK, so the meaning of that phrase revolves around the definition of
Product.  If any exchange of value is implicit in the definition of
Product then it doesn't apply.  If a Product is created through simple
aggregation, that phrase does apply and we can stop discussing things
as Debian can't distribute the package.  Any actual lawyers on this
list?

    >> The catch here is that Sun licenses the JDK & JRE slightly
    >> differently and Debian's policy doesn't deal well with
    >> sublicensing.  I can Try and break the file in two if that
    >> would make things clearer.

    Anthony> We don't care about sublicensing; the only thing that
    Anthony> matters is what license we and our users have, not what
    Anthony> licenses anyone else (like Blackdown) might have to worry
    Anthony> about. If we (and our mirrors) don't have permission to
    Anthony> distribute it (and continue to maintain our distro, of
    Anthony> course), we can't distribute it; if our users don't have
    Anthony> permission to use it, there's no point distributing it.

You do care about sublicensing, Anthony.  If I have two components in
the same source tarball with different restriction on their use (the
situation here), you have to care.  What I didn't think Debian cared
about, but apparently some parts of it do, are the legal restrictions
under which I, as a Blackdowm team member independant of my Debian
membership, operate.

    Anthony> The main thing is to make it clear what we can and can't
    Anthony> do.

Yep.  Hence the suplemental terms allowing for distribution indepndent
of use.  I'm still trying to establish what other conditions need to
be addressed.

--
Stephen

To Republicans, limited government means not assisting people they
would sooner see shoveled into mass graves. -- Kenneth R. Kahn