Re: [aspell-devel] Problems with aspell-en license

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 01:30:04AM -0600, John Galt wrote:
> Actually it isn't a granting of right, but a Testimonial that those rights
> exist.  It means that you have recourse if sued to go after the one making
> the Testimony for your costs.  In Debian, a Testimony that rights exist
> has usually been enough to cover for a license, but the term "license" for
> that is rather ambiguous, I'd agree.

The usage of the phrase "to the best of my knowledge" indicates to me
that the person who wrote this is trying to avoid getting sued.  If
that phrase isn't enough to avoid liability if the best of his knowledge
is wrong, he might want to change this anyway.

And if it *is* sufficient to avoid liability (eg. it's noncommittal), I'd
imagine it wouldn't be much of a Testimony.

(At least that's what the text Brian quoted said.)

--
Glenn Maynard