Re: OpenSSL, SUN and ECC (patent issue)

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 04:59:50PM +0200, Toni Mueller wrote:
> " From that FAQ:
>
>   Sun grants to OpenSSL users the right to make
>   use of the contributed patented technology
>   in the context of OpenSSL.
>
> "

We've discussed it on this list already, but the remaining open question
is, what patents do they have that they refer to here?

If ECC is patent-encumbered, then I think it's a bad idea to include
support for it, regardless of where the code comes from or what its
license is.  There are enough free algorithms available now so that we
don't have to encourage use of non-free ones anymore.

If ECC is not patent-encumbered, then their license clause has no effect.
Read it carefully, especially the first sentence.  It's not a restriction,
it's an offer, over and above the existing OpenSSL license, and you don't
have to take the offer.  There's no reason to take the offer if they have
no patents that apply to this code.

Richard Braakman