Re: Debian logo and TM logos

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 04:13:41PM +0200, Nicolas SABOURET wrote:
> >Are either of the above logos "confusingly similar" to our own?  If not,
> >trademark law does not give us any recourse in asking them to stop using
> >the logos, and there is nothing wrong with them registering their own
> >trademark.  The real problem is that this is a violation of copyright.
> >Debian-legal can't help resolve these situations -- either the original
> >logo designer, or SPI (assuming the copyright has been transferred or
> >SPI chooses to fund the lawyers) needs to get involved here to ask them
> >to stop using these logos.  Only the copyright holder or an authorized
> >representative has the legal authority to demand that they stop
> >infringing the copyright.

> Thanks for your explanation.
> As far as I understand, there is nothing wrong with the use of this logo
> since it does not confuse with Debian.
> The only thing is that the designer had his work 'stolen' and he is the
> only person who can react, or SPI if the copyright has been transferred.

Correct.

> Could anybody contact them?

http://www.spi-inc.org/contact lists various contact addresses for SPI.
I'm not sure which address is the best to send to.

> Now let me tell you about some direct use of the debian logo (also
> mentionned on the -user-swedish list):
> 	http://www.taliban-news.com/topics.php
> The use of the debian logo on this site may be a real problem if we
> consider the content of the site.
> Maybe you already know about this one ? In this case, sorry again for
> the noise.

Yes, this particular use of the Debian logo is particularly troubling.
Though perhaps we shouldn't be surprised that a site affiliating itself
with a government that consistently violated human rights also steals
copyrighted material. ;)

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer