Re: truetype font licensing

On Tuesday, Sep 3, 2002, at 01:44 US/Eastern, J.B. Nicholson-Owens wrote:

This font may not be distributed with commercial applications. Released
  under the terms of the Gnu Public License, www.gnu.org

That notice has many problems, the least of which being said license does not exist. (GNU General Public License...). More importantly, as you noted, it contradicts itself.

 Is this just another case of
confusing the term "commercial" with "proprietary"?

Doesn't matter --- DFSG-free software can't care what it is distributed alongside with.

Is this a problem?  I'm not sure from reading the license exactly what
"other materials" includes.

This is strait from the good BSD license. It is OK. Debian's other materials include, at least, /usr/share/doc/<package>/copyright

Other fonts from this site have problems too. They all have a text file that says the font is in the public domain and yet the "[d]esign and data"
copyright are held by various organizations.  The copyright notice uses
"(C)" which might carry no legal weight, but it still seems contradictory to
me.  No terms allowing distribution or modification are listed.

I think what he's saying in that file is he took Monotype's (for example) fonts and twiddled them some.

Asimov: the font file contains the closest thing to a license but does not
grant permission for modification:

  Another friendly font from Allen R. Walden.  UNPROTECTED - Please
  distribute freely.

I think he's trying to say "I disclaim all copyright interest in this file," "I release this to the public domain," or something like that. Maybe an email to the author will get it clarified.

Alphamack: No distribution on "CD-Roms"

Guess we'll have to switch to DVDs ;-)

The list goes on, but my patience in finding suitable fonts for Debian does
not.

I can understand why. At least your turned up one, maybe two fonts...