Re: one liner license, sufficient for DFSG?

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 03:26:57PM +0000, M. Drew Streib wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 08:17:08AM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> > > --*snip*--
> > > You can use this code in whatever way you want, as long as you don't
> > > try to claim you wrote it.
> > > --*snip*--
> >
> > That works out to be public domain essentially.  It would be nice if software
> > developers would be less cavalier with their code.  You could actually sue
> > him if his software failed to compile.
>
> Yep, also this one-liner incorrectly says "use" where it should include
> copy/modify/redistribute. I think that technically this doesn't even
> grant the right to copy, only to "use". The fact that he mentioned code
> implies that this includes a source copy license, but we don't know
> for sure.

The 'license' above is in the code itself, so I would understand with 'use'
that I can do anything with it. But I am not a lawyer, otherwise I would
not have asked here...

> This author should really be contacted and asked to X11 whatever this
> was.

I will Cc the author now, I hope it's okay for him.

Greetings,
Oliver
--
debian/rules                                       http://zork.net/~nick/srom/