Re: New MP3 License Terms Demand $0.75 Per Decoder

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 10:59:41PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> I wonder whether it's time to cease all mp3 players from Debian as well.

Heh, I just noticed this on the licensing page:

   Note: This license does not cover the right to distribute, broadcast
   and/or stream mp3 / mp3PRO encoded data. These rights are covered by
   the licenses described under Electronic Music Distribution /
   Broadcasting / Streaming.

So apparently they're claiming their patent covers mp3 _datafiles_ as well,
even if you just ftp them around.

On the other hand, taking their claims seriously might be a good statement,
just like we did with GIF.  Let's help move the world to non-patented
standards.

Richard Braakman