Licensing of code for proprietary file types

Hi,

I have developed a set of functions and routines for accessing a prorietary file format of Microsofts and wish to find out what objections Microsoft can make if I license the code under an open source license (preferably the GPL).

There are no other free code libraries around that will do this stuff, and any applications I have seen have got their code licensed from Microsoft.

Can Microsoft come down heavy on me, for writing and publishing code to access their file format and licensing other people unlimited use of the code via the GPL?

Dave Smith

PS, the fileformat in question is the outlook PST file.