Re: Can someone please help look over this

On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 02:41:45PM +1200, Corrin Lakeland wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This licence has got me a bit confused.  Can someone please help to see if I
> can add this to a GPL program (aspell) without affecting its DFSG status. I'm
> aware languages are distributed in seperate packages and I _could_ put it in
> non-free, but I'd really rather not.
>
> The point I'm hesitant about is the non-commercial since the GPL permits you
> to charge for copies.

	The requirement for non-commercial distribution (2.1.3 and 2.2)
violates DFSG 7.  I suspect that the "return all changes to author"
clause (2.1) is non-DFSG free, but I forget the specific interpretation.

	Now, adding linking this to aspell and distributing the result
is not possible.  The GPL explicitly says that any derived works cannot
have any additional restrictions.  The license employed here has many
restrictions above and beyond the GPL.  It seems to me that the author
wants a) to be acknowledged and b) to keep his software Free.  I suppose
you have already suggested the use of the GPL to him?

Simon