Re: [Firebird-devel] Warning: readline is GPL - incompatible with

Grzegorz Prokopski wrote:
> Even then (if you could) - the user using such FireBird would be
> violating GPL, as he would effectively link GPL-incompatible program to
> GPLed library (he won't be able and/or will not want to use empty, stub
> lib).

Is this really the case?  IANAL, but I was under the impression that the GPL
does not restrict any sort of modification as long as there is no
distribution of the modified version.

Section 2 seems (to me) to place restrictions on "modify and copy and
distribute".  The user in this case is only doing the first (modify), but
even so:
2a) is satisfied easily,
2b) is vacuously satisfied (no distribution), and
2c) is also satisfied easily.

--Joe