Re: TeX Licenses & teTeX (Was: Re: forwarded message from Jeff Licquia)

> From: tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG)
> Date: 05 Aug 2002 19:46:09 -0700

> You cannot modify tex.web at all, but you are free to patch it with
> what you want and distribute the results, including binaries made from
> it.  This is exactly the sort of thing that DFSG 4 had in mind,
> indeed, TeX has been the classic example of the implementation of DFSG
> 4.

A hypothetical question. LaTeX has a facility of patching at compile
time -- the loading of system-wide or user-wide .cfg files. Would you
consider LaTeX license DFSG-free if it would explicitly mention this
patching facility?

> Computer Modern is a different matter.  If the font files really
> prohibit modifications, then that is unfortunate.  Someone (perhaps
> the tetex maintainer?) should ask Knuth for a change to his license.
> For example, "you may modify these files, provided you do not call
> them the Computer Modern fonts".  Or perhaps a notification that the

Why do you not consider the same patching as above? You *can* patch CM
using virtual fonts facility. I do not think there are restrictions on
.vf files you can use with TeX.

--
Good luck

-Boris

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for you are crunchy and good
with ketchup."