Re: ACL - The Ada Community License

Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au> wrote:
> So whats the verdict?
>
> I take it that this is neither DFSG or GPL compatable?

It is definitely GPL incompatible, although there may be some
disagreement about what causes this.  The easiest way to solve this is
to dual license it under this license and the GPL.

I would also say that it is definitely DFSG free, since the Artistic
License is listed in DFSG #10.  To respond to Florian's comments directly:

> On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 11:23:19PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> > Walter Landry <wlandry@ucsd.edu> writes:
> >
> > > Selling the library is not forbidden.
> >
> > Really?  "You may not charge a fee for this Ada library itself."

The only thing that the DFSG requires is to be able to sell "the
software as a component of an aggregate software distribution
containing programs from several different sources."  This is
explicitly allowed in section 5 of the Ada license.

> On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 11:21:38PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> > Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au> writes:
> >
> > >          2  You may apply bug fixes, portability fixes and other
> > >             modifications derived from the Public Domain or from
> > >             the Copyright Holder. A library modified in such a way
> > >             shall still be considered the Standard Version.
> > >
> > >          3  You may otherwise modify your copy of this Ada library
> > >             in any way, provided that you insert a prominent notice
> > >             in each changed file stating how and when you changed
> > >             that file, and provided that you do at least ONE of the
> > >             following:
> >
> > This discriminates against people who cannot put copyrighted works
> > into the Public Domain.

You only have to make it "Freely Available", which is no worse than
what the GPL, for example, requires.

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu