Re: ACL - The Ada Community License

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 11:21:38PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> >          3  You may otherwise modify your copy of this Ada library
> >             in any way, provided that you insert a prominent notice
> >             in each changed file stating how and when you changed
> >             that file, and provided that you do at least ONE of the
> >             following:
>
> This discriminates against people who cannot put copyrighted works
> into the Public Domain.

Does it?  3a says you must either put it into the public domain *or*
"otherwise make them Freely Available"; it's extremely loose about
that definition.

Probably too loose; it's not really clear to me what's allowed and
what's not.  If I distribute binaries to someone, and include a written
offer (GPL-style), is that satisfying 3a?  It's freely available to the
person I'm giving binaries to, but nobody else.  (I'd suspect that if
this didn't satisfy 3a, it means they expect you to make the changes
publically available if you distribute binaries at all; this would
violate the desert-island scenario, which might make it non-free.)

--
Glenn Maynard