Re: GPL exception for the OpenSSL library

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 02:53:19PM +0200, Bodo Moeller wrote:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2002/debian-legal-200207/msg00454.html:
>
> > I would then include the entire OpenSSL license in the file
> > "COPYING.OpenSSL" in the hpoj package.  Mark, please forward the LICENSE
> > file distributed with the OpenSSL version that Debian provides, so I can
> > make sure it's truly "identical" to what I think it is.  Hopefully they
> > don't change the wording of their license on a regular basis.  :-)
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2002/debian-legal-200207/msg00665.html:
>
> < Could we also pseudo-uniquely identify COPYING.OpenSSL with an
> < MD5 checksum?
>

> Please note that one line of the OpenSSL license *is* in fact changed
> on a regular basis:
>
>  * Copyright (c) 1998-2002 The OpenSSL Project.  All rights reserved.
>                       ^^^^
>
> MD5 checksums should be predictable, though.

	I believe that the copyright statement is not a part of the
license.  The copyright statement is merely informational text, in
countries that are Berne convention signatories, is it not?  I have been
under the impression that the license is the stuff following the
copyright statement which outlines your rights and restrictions _in_
_addition_ to standard copyright.

	Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Simon