Re: ACL - The Ada Community License

Glenn Maynard <g_dlegal@zewt.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 09:19:29AM -0700, Walter Landry wrote:
> > The written offer for source code is an allowable option under 3(a) of
> > the Ada license.  It say that you must make "your modifications
> > ... Freely Available".  Freely Available, as defined in the license,
> > can include shipping and handling.  So again, it doesn't seem to
> > preclude any option offered by the GPL.
>
> It's unclear to me what falls under 3 and what falls under 4: it seems
> as if 3 is for all modification and distribution--it mentions
> "executables"--and 4 is for distribution of binaries only.  However, 4
> seems more restrictive than 3; it doesn't have the "freely available"
> option.  So, I'm a bit confused.

Hmm.  I see your point.  I think the license is unclear.  I'm not sure
whether the restrictions in Section 4 are in addition to the
restrictions in Section 3, or rather Section 4 is an additional option
for Section 3.  It could be argued either way.  Spelling it out would
be a good thing.

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu