Re: ACL - The Ada Community License

Glenn Maynard <g_dlegal@zewt.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 10:49:14PM -0700, Walter Landry wrote:
> > If you have any influence, changing this part to read more like the
> > GPL would be enough to make it compatible.
>
> I'm curious.  This license seems to have other restrictions over the
> GPL.  For example, selling the library itself is forbidden, and the
> written offer for source allowed by the GPL isn't allowed by this
> license (= forbidden).
>
> Aren't these also incompatibilities?

Selling the library is not forbidden.  The definition of "reasonable
copying fee" is vague enough that it doesn't restrict you any more
than the GPL.  You can also charge whatever you want for "support".

The written offer for source code is an allowable option under 3(a) of
the Ada license.  It say that you must make "your modifications
... Freely Available".  Freely Available, as defined in the license,
can include shipping and handling.  So again, it doesn't seem to
preclude any option offered by the GPL.

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu