Re: Encoding the name in the file contents

Boris Veytsman <borisv@lk.net> wrote:
> Let me tell you how the things are organized in the TeX world. There
> are dozens of TeX implementations. Some are free, some are commercial,
> some are open, some are closed. I would not be surprised if some of
> these are not written in C and do not use the standard web2c. The
> authors of these implementations package LaTeX with their
> systems.

I see now.  I was concerning myself with free software, whereas you
have a desire to interoperate with proprietary software.  Fair enough.
What if this md5sum were computed using TeX?  Assuming reasonable
performance, would that be a solution?

Boris Veytsman <borisv@lk.net> wrote:
> Even if this were possible, did you consider the logistics nightmare of
> conversion of megabytes of LaTeX code written by hunderds of authors
> to the new authentificaiton scheme?

Wouldn't this logistics nightmare happen with a license change as
well?  The actual change to the code would be small.  Something like
changing \usepackage to \use_and_verify_package.  No one is forced to
use it.  Only the people who worry about this sort of thing would have
to change it.

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu