Re: GPL exception for the OpenSSL library

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 09:12:03PM -0600, Richard Stallman wrote:
> 	    My question is: do you think this license exception is
>     acceptable for use?  That is, does it prevent the proprietary hijacking
>     of the linked GPL-incompatible library?  Can you see any flaws in this?
>
> I see one possible flaw: if someone includes a different COPYING.OpenSSL
> file, this notice would give permission for linking with something
> under that replaced file.  I think that's a bug.  It needs to state
> the OpenSSL license in some more reliable way.

	I suppose it would be tighter then, if you were to include the
OpenSSL license as an appendix to the copyright exception itself?

	Could we also pseudo-uniquely identify COPYING.OpenSSL with an
MD5 checksum?  That is:

  In addition, as a special exception, Hewlett-Packard Company
  gives permission to link the code of this program with any
  version of the OpenSSL library which is distributed under a
  license identical to that listed in the included COPYING.OpenSSL
  file (which has an MD5 checksum of d41cc83b1cb9c19efde98744211a0b16),
  and distribute linked combinations including the two.  You must
  obey the GNU General Public License in all respects for all of
  the code used other than OpenSSL.  If you modify this file, you
  may extend this exception to your version of the file, but you
  are not obligated to do so.  If you do not wish to do so, delete
  this exception statement from your version.

Simon