Re: Encoding the name in the file contents (was Re: Towards a new LPPL draft)

On 24 Jul 2002, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> No, no.  The *kernel* would do the recognition, not the documents.  It
> would have a list of "acceptable" values for that macro.
>
> Thus, "latex" would refuse to use any modules that didn't identify
> themselves as Standard LaTeX, while "debtex" would accept modules that
> identified themselves as "debTeX" or Standard LaTeX.

Still don't get it.  You're either requiring modified work to follow a
specific API, which is IMO non-free, or you don't get the desired
protection against impostors, as a modified work could simply return the
latex identifier.

> > A different name to humans.  A different package name, sure.  In some
> > cases, a different executable name (This would be problematic if it
> > were broad enough).  A different name in it's API?  I don't think that
> > follows.
>
> Why not?  Why does embedding the name in a registration call offend you?

For the same reason that limiting the API of any program would be
non-free.  I also wouldn't accept a C library that disallowed calling a
modified function "printf".

> > Adding the facility is no worry.  Requiring derived works to use that
> > facility is non-free IMO.
>
> Give me some reasons.  "I don't like it" is really hard to argue with,
> address, or even evaluate.

Because freedom to change (or not change) the API is part of the freedom
that I believe Debian guarantees to it's users.