Re: Encoding the name in the file contents

Scripsit Walter Landry <wlandry@ucsd.edu>

> Don't tell me that 631 lines of C code is too much.

It is, when there is no infrastructure to run C code at all.

> Gee, isn't it nice that we can modify the TeX engine?

One cannot, when the boundary conditions are that one wants to produce
a program that will run on any TeX implementation - especially when
one is not in the business of maintaining even one TeX implementation
beforehand.

> > which is presently separate from LaTeX, which is a Good Thing) it
> > would open up quite disturbing new security perspectives, for
> > instance.

> I seriously doubt that there would be any new security problems.

I imagined that you wanted to add a command to run md5sum as a
separate binary. That *would* open op loads of security concerns.

> I think you're blowing this out of proportion.

Would you think it would be blowing things out of proportion too if
Linus rejected a kernel patch that depended on its very own private
extension to the C language, with a companion extension patch that must
be applied to GCC before the new kernel could be compiled?

--
Henning Makholm                         "You want to know where my brain is,
                                    spetsnaz girl? Do you? Look behind you."