Re: Encoding the name in the file contents

Scripsit Walter Landry <wlandry@ucsd.edu>

> Don't tell me that 631 lines of C code is too much.

It is, when there is no infrastructure to run C code at all.

> Gee, isn't it nice that we can modify the TeX engine?

One cannot, when the boundary conditions are that one wants to produce
a program that will run on any TeX implementation - especially when
one is not in the business of maintaining even one TeX implementation

> > which is presently separate from LaTeX, which is a Good Thing) it
> > would open up quite disturbing new security perspectives, for
> > instance.

> I seriously doubt that there would be any new security problems.

I imagined that you wanted to add a command to run md5sum as a
separate binary. That *would* open op loads of security concerns.

> I think you're blowing this out of proportion.

Would you think it would be blowing things out of proportion too if
Linus rejected a kernel patch that depended on its very own private
extension to the C language, with a companion extension patch that must
be applied to GCC before the new kernel could be compiled?

Henning Makholm                         "You want to know where my brain is,
                                    spetsnaz girl? Do you? Look behind you."