Re: Towards a new LPPL draft

Walter Landry <wlandry@ucsd.edu> writes:
> Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org> wrote:

>> Yikes.  I'd accept the former as free before the latter, personally.
>> Giving users options is one thing, but option two seems to suggest
>> that if Latex is forked for some reason we'll need to ferry around the
>> original (from the date of the fork) version of latex whenever
>> distributing the new version, forever.  That's a far more onerous
>> requirement than file renaming, imho.
>
> This is specifically allowed by DFSG #4.  The Q Public License uses
> this feature as well.  If you don't like it, feel free to call a
> General Resolution to change it.  Until then, it is still part of the
> DFSG.

It's quite similar, yes, but I can distribute a patch without the file
it patches.  If, for example, I have to include an entire pristine
Latex installation with any fork, that's a significant burden indeed.
Not that the LPPL could necessarily legally require such a thing, but
if that's the intent of the Latex developers, I find it too onerous.

In fact, as a rather off-topic question, if you have a license to
distribute but not modify a package with three files (foo, bar & baz),
and you have a patch for foo that makes it a useful program in its own
right, can you distribute foo + patch, omitting bar & baz?  But I
imagine that if this is possible at all it falls into some murky
category of fair use.

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>