Re: Towards a new LPPL draft

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 01:47:46PM -0400, Brian Sniffen wrote:
> Requiring that the tarball for SniffenTeX be no smaller than the
> tarball for LaTeX, since if I distribute a fork I must distribute a
> pristine LaTeX *with* it, would be unacceptable.  If I'm an
> English-language bigot who wishes to remove babel and all references
> to it, and distribute that fork, I must have that right to be
> DFSG-free.

Unfortunately, this is exactly the kind of requirement that DFSG#4 allows.
It is, I think, the main reason why some developers (including myself)
want to get rid of that clause.

Note that this size requirement is only on the _source_ tarball, you
will always be able to build a "binary" tarball that is smaller.
This links back to the discussion of what "build time" means, but
it's pretty clear to me that creating a Debian package is "building".

--
Richard Braakman
"I sense a disturbance in the force"