Re: forwarded message from Jeff Licquia

> I also don't think that
> copyright law gives you the protection you're really looking for,
> because unless you have the legal budget of the Scientologists, a name
> cannot be protected under copyright law; and therefore, your license has
> no power over anyone who chooses to implement a macro from scratch and
> give it the same name as a macro file in your software.

True we can't protect against everything but we can protect against
some things. In practice preventing people who've modified article.cls
calling it article.cls is protection enough.

  A modified version of a TeX macro is a derived
  work, so your license can impose this restriction and still be
  DFSG-free.

so what's the problem with the LPPL?
ie not "could it be better" that I am sure it could be better.
the question is "why does anyone think it is not DFSG compliant".

  Your goals (which seem to differ markedly from the opinions of at least
  some members of the LaTeX community,

There isn't a latex community in the sense of any organised
network. Several latex users have contributed to these threads.
However of the people who have posted to this list only Frank Mittelbach
and myself are part of the latex project that maintains latex.
I wouldn't find it surprising if end users and core
developers/maintainers have a slightly different slant on the issues.

  One would conclude that if your goals are consistent
  with the DFSG, and the license text is not, that the license doesn't
  truly reflect your actual goals and would need to be revised for our
  mutual benefit.

__Exactly__ and that is why Frank stated 1001 messages ago that _any_
part of the text of the LPPL in the current revision could be changed if
only someone would say where it contravenes DFSG. But the threads
haven't in the main been doing that, but rather discussing the virtues
(or otherwise) of the desire to force renaming of changed files.

If we can all accept the principle that the latex licence will require
modified files get renamed, then we can more usefully look at the
details of the wordiing.

David