Re: Motivations; proposed alternative license

Robin Fairbairns <Robin.Fairbairns@cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> a klingon support package might very well patch some latex internals;
> it will presumably provide some fonts, and so on.  this is all allowed

This is where we differ.  I want to change the standard article class
and still call it article.cls.  That lets me seamlessly use all of my
old documents and Klingon.  Even if it is a horrible hack that only
works on SuperH erases hard drives on other architectures.  And I want
to distribute this altered article class to my fellow SuperH-loving
Trekkies.  This is not allowed in the license.

> is this whole argument operating on the basis that the debian-legal
> people believe we (the latex team) have to approve every submission
> made?  that someone who submits a package that incidentally patches
> latex internals is somehow contravening the latex licence?

I think that this is almost exactly the problem.  For a wide class of
changes (anything that modifies a file and keeps the name the same),
the latex team has to approve it.

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu