Re: Linking against OpenSSL

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 12:04:59PM +0200, Stefan Schwandter wrote:
> > In other words, if GPL'ed app A links against OpenSSL and GNU readline,
> > you need permission from both the copyright holder of "A" and from the
> > Free Software Foundation to link with OpenSSL.
>
> Ok. But how has this permission to look like? Is a paragraph in the
> upstreams package's COPYING file, in which is stated that permission to
> link to OpenSSL is granted, sufficient?

Well, it can take many forms, as long as the permission is clearly
granted.  I haven't yet seen an exception that I would consider
"best-of-breed".  The CUPS license is excellent in many respects but I
think their OpenSSL exception may be a little too generous and leave
open some sort of loophole that could lead to exploitation to the
software so licensed.  I don't think this is necessarily a threat to
CUPS itself, but it might be to some project that copies their exception
clauses.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     If God had intended for man to go
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     about naked, we would have been