Re: Implied exceptions to GPL?

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 03:30:36PM +1000, Brian May wrote:

> 2. If you wrote and released the program under the GPL, and you designed
> it specifically to work with those facilities, people can take that as
> an implicit exception permitting them to link it with those facilities.
> But if that is what you intend, it is better to say so explicitly.

This is a dangerous assumption, specifically because the GPL *does*
permit you to create a work derived from GPL code and GPL-incompatible
code for your own use, but does *not* allow you to redistribute the
derivative composite.  I can see various circumstances under which the
copyright holder of GPLed code may wish to facilitate the former but not
the latter, particularly since doing so provides extra leverage for
encouraging the copyright holders of the GPL-incompatible software to
change their license.

#3 seems poorly worded; I believe the real meaning is "you can't take
someone else's code and *modify* it so that it can be used that way".

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer