Re: a52dec - shared version

Mikael Hedin <mikael.hedin@irf.se> wrote:
> [I'm cc:ing -legal as some advice re dolby reactions from
> law-enlightened people would be nice.  Please cc me, I'm not on
> -legal.]
>
> Zdenek Kabelac writes:
>  > >  > package the current version as shared version -
>  > >
>  > > It's more that I don't want to do it as long as upstream says "it's
>  > > not ready for that" (see my last message to bug 125951)
>  >
>  > Well you should rather try to fulfill Debians users/developers needs :)
>
> Just don't want to buy me a lot of extra trouble with little gain.
> But hang on, I might be close to convinced.  Not much use to put it in
> woody though.  And no time.
>
>  > >  > it might be consider as a 'law' problem (I'm even surpriced that
>  > >  > a52 library is 'officialy' in the Debian as AC3 decoding library)
>  > >
>  > > Hm, this law thing might be a good enough reason.  Could you explain
>  > > further?  Or give some pointer?  Might be good to cc debian-legal for
>  > > this.
>  >
>  > Sure just check avifile's doc
>  >
>  > enjoy as much as me :) :
>  >
>  > http://www.netbsd.org/Letters/20010803-dolby.html
>
> Sounds nasty.  Do you know what has happened?  I see ac3 is still in
> the ports system, along with liba52

I would not worry about it.  If Netbsd is still carrying it, then
Dolby's lawyers don't have teeth.  There are so many patents that
Debian might be violating, that unless we know that there is a genuine
bona-fide enforcement, Debian can keep it.  Since Netbsd still has
it, I think that we can assume that Dolby is not serious about
pursuing any of it's claims.

On the other hand, the specific website listed in the threat letter is
no longer working.  I don't know if that is related to the letter.
Perhaps you should ask the Netbsd developers?

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu