Re: Opinion on the SNNS licence

Yann Dirson wrote:
> 1. Main clause says: "You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of
> SNNS's source code as you receive it, in any medium, provided that you
> conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate
> copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty; keep intact all the
> notices that refer to this License and to the absence of any warranty;
> and give any other recipients of SNNS a copy of this license along
> with SNNS."
>
> The "conspicuously and appropriately publish..." reminds me of the
> advertisement clause in original BSD - is it as bad, or not ?

I think it just means you should not remove lines saying "copyright somebody",
which seems fair enough.

> 2. The "You may not distribute modified copies of SNNS. You may,
> however, distribute your modifications as separate files (e.,g. patch
> files) along with the unmodified SNNS software." reminds me of the TeX
> licence.  But here they talk about "SNNS", not "SNNS source code" as
> in other parts.  That seems to imply that binaries built from modified
> SNNS cannot be redistributed.  Is it just a wrong interpretation on my
> part ?

I interpret it the same way. According to DFSG, License should
explicitly allow distribution of modified binaries, and this license
does not explicitly allow them. I suggest asking for a clarification.