Re: openssl and GPL

On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 04:15:09PM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> 1. What is the problem? I have read the GPL, and cannot recall the
> problem. According to the top of /usr/doc/openssl/copyright,
> openssl has a dual BSD style license. I haven't heard of problems
> linking GPL code with BSD code before. So why is this different?

They both have advertising clauses, which means it can't be linked with
GPL code.

> 2. Is <URL:http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html#LEGAL> wrong? ie.
> "the GPL does not place restrictions on using libraries that are part of
> the normal operating system distribution".

Yes, it does state that. The restrictions on it, however, are somewhat
confusing, and leads many of us to believe that Debian can't distribute
GPL'ed code linked with it in main. For one thing, putting it on the
same CD as libssl wouldn't be possible, as then "that component itself
[libssl, in this case] accompanies the executable."

--
David Starner - starner@okstate.edu
"It's not a habit; it's cool; I feel alive.