Re: Open Card Consortium Source License - DFSG free?

Ben Pfaff <blp@cs.stanford.edu> wrote:
> Walter Landry <wlandry@ucsd.edu> writes:
> > It may be impossible for people to make any notifications.  Certain
> > uses may preclude it, like making nuclear bombs, running a terrorist
> > network, or hacking on a desert island.
>
> The clause does not specify how notification is to be made.  For
> a hacker on a desert island, perhaps notification by a note in a
> bottle tossed into the ocean is acceptable :-)

I think that would count as no notification.

In any case, that still leaves out the nuke builders and terrorists.
Actually, it seems that the terrorists haven't had any problems
getting their message out to the world.  Nuke builders at the national
labs at Los Alamos, Sandia, Lawrence Livermore, etc. are just not
allowed to send summaries of changes to the original authors.  I can't
imagine changelogs like "Changed max-targets to 50 for the new missle
design" being allowed out of the fence.

Many, many, many companies also have strict secrecy rules.  In
general, people have many good reasons why they can't send
notifications.

I think that this falls under the rubric: We understand you have
legitimate reasons for this restriction, but we still can't allow it.

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu