Re: teTeX Documentation Licenses (B, C)

Peter Makholm <peter@makholm.net> writes:

> tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG) writes:
>
> > copyright protection under the Pan-American copyright treaty.  (And
> > it's still relevant, because there are some countries which have
> > signed the Pan-American treaty, and not the Berne Convention.)
>
> No it's not really relevant because with the Berne Convention we
> couldn't even distribute it without the 'magic phrase'. You don't even
> have to claim copyright to have a work protected.
>
> Works without any copyright statement can't be distributed by Debian.
> Not even in non-free.

Yes, of course this is agreed.  I was just explaining why "all rights
reserved" is there, and that it doesn't mean anything like "you have
no license to copy"; it's just an assertion of copyright under the Pan
American convention, nothing more, nothing less.

As I said in the very message you have trimmed, "Debian's policy is
not to cut such hairs, any claimed copyright we treat as if they
claimed it properly."

Is there some reason you trimmed that?  Just so you could make the
same point yourself?

Thomas