Re: WARNING: Crypto software to be included into main Debian distribution

    Florian> --uZ3hkaAS1mZxFaxD Content-Type: text/plain;
    Florian> charset=us-ascii Content-Disposition: inline

    Florian> On Sat, Feb 23, 2002 at 03:10:02PM -0500, Sam Hartman
    Florian> wrote:

    >> Except of course that multi-step exporting is legal.  Well, is
    >> likely to be legal in most cases.  If I'm operating a US
    >> mirror, and you tell me that you're copying my mirror outside
    >> the US for the explicit purpose of making it available to T7,
    >> then I might care.

    Florian> It is legel as long there is no knowledge of the
    Florian> export.

That's not how I read the law.  I think you're making assumptions that
law works like software or that law is well designed.  Both of these
assumptions are false.

If you'll present rational and explicit arguments as to why you think
multi-step export is illegal, with explicit references to appropriate
paragraphs in the regulations or enabling legislation then I'll be
happy to respond as a matter of  intellectual stemulation.

But since I am not a lawyer and I do not believe you are a lawyer
either, or if so, I seriously doubt you are licensed to practice law
in the US, neither of us is qualified to significantly influence
Debian's decisions in this matter.  If you believe that you may be
breaking a law then you should seek legal advice yourself.  If you
believe that Debian may be breaking a law, and wish to donate the time
of some US lawyer who supports your position, Debian would be foolish
to ignore your donation.