Re: bnetd and DMCA

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 01:33:23PM +0100, Robert Millan wrote:

> The Debian package only contains the server code, which is
> written as free software from scratch.
>
> Is that package illegal?

No.

> If it does indeed break the DMCA, would it be any problem
> in distributing it outside the US, where this law [1] does
> not prevail?

Make your decision based only on Debian policy. If it's Free Software, it
goes in Main, unless it has crypto - then it goes in non-us/main (at least
until the crypto in main thing is settled). If it's non-free software or
depends on non-free software, it goes in non-free or contrib respectively,
provided we're able to distribute it at all without infringing.

--
Brian Ristuccia
brian@ristuccia.com