Re: GPL but some author's demand ...

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002 09:46:36 +0100
Thomas Seyrat <thomas@glou.net> wrote:
> # BabelWeb should not be used as a lucrative tools without author
> # autorization.
>
>   Except for the bad english, I do not know what to think about this :
>   the point 6 of DFSG insists on the fact that the license must not
>   restrict the software from being used in any kind on business, but
>   this is not the case here, this is just a need for author's
>   approval, some kind of informal agreement ...

Getting any kind of agreement or approval or authorization *is* a
restriction, in fact.

>   So, should I consider this software as "free" to DFSG's terms and
>   package it for main, or do I need the author to remove this
>   condition ?

It depends on the interpretation of "should". Hopefully a lawyer-type
will respond to the post, because as far as I interpret, "should" means
optional. Strongly encouraged, but not required. I bet the author wants
to use the words "can not be" or "may not be" instead of "should", given
their difficulty with English.

--
/    David Barclay Harris            Aut agere, aut mori.      \