Re: license requirements for a book to be in free section

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 09:51:05AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Bzzt!  NO!
>
> Do not "just upload" packages with license questions.  Sort the
> questions out *first* and don't try and hide them or force the FTP
> queue masters to do your job.
>
> In my opinion, the license in question is problematic for Debian.
> Branden, what do you think?

To date, no one has addressed my concern in Message-ID:
<[🔎] 20020126085448.GI32060@deadbeast.net>.

In short, we would not regard as DFSG-free a license that said you
couldn't distribute the work on a CD-ROM, quarter-inch magnetic tapes,
on clay tablets, or engraved onto a mountainside.

I do not see how restricting the distribution of a work in "book" form
can somehow evade requirements of the DFSG that we apply to all other
physical media.  I do not find O'Reilly's reported assertion that "books
are different" persuasive.

Therefore, I would reject the license as not DFSG-free, as I presently
understand it.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      If encryption is outlawed, only