Re: One unclear point in the Vim license

Glenn Maynard wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 03:25:06PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > > I notice Vim in testing links against libgpm, which is GPL (according
> > > to /usr/doc/libgpmg1/copyright).  Is this a problem, Vim's license being
> > > GPL-incompatible?  (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html) I'm
> > > not entirely clear on what can link to GPL libraries and when.
> >
> > Certainly the current Vim license is GPL-incompatible.  (Even if we
> > decided it's free after all, it's definitely not ok to link it against
> > a GPLd library.)
>
> Alright, I'll file this.  Bram, you might want to check out any other
> libraries Vim optionally links agaist.  (This is another, completely
> different reason to make your license GPL-compatible.)

I don't think that is my task.  Perhaps it's just a problem for you,
since you do the compiling.

Anyway, I can't see how the GPL intentionally forbids compiling a
library with it.  That wouldn't be "free".  And you probably have the
sources for the library available somewhere, so what would be the
problem?

--
    [clop clop]
GUARD #1:  Halt!  Who goes there?