Re: One unclear point in the Vim license

On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 10:10:40PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> > > - Nobody has a copy of this modified version.  Then it doesn't exist
> > >   and the license doesn't apply.
> >
> > Wrong, the paragraph says that if you distribute a modified version,
> > then you must provide the changes to the vim maintainer upon request
> > forever.
>
> No, the license doesn't say forever.

But that's what it means.  The operating assumption is that you are
reserving all rights to the maximum extent permitted by law, except
where and how you explicitly grant permissions.

Okay, right, it doesn't say forever.  It says "until this license is no
longer enforceable", which is probably going to outlive the
modification.

> Well, this was discussed before and the Vim license was considered
> DFSG-free software then.  We were only changing the precise wordings,
> not the intention of the license, so this would still be the same.  You
> better explain exactly why this license would make Vim not be DFSG-free
> software and what has changed since the last time.

Debian is getting more careful about vetting licenses.

Also, again and again people have said they don't doubt that your
intentions are good and consistent with the principles underlying free
software.  It's just that the current Vim license appears to be an
imperfect vehicle for the communication for your intentions.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     You don't just decide to break
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     Kubrick's code of silence and then