Re: figlet fonts - GPL-ok?

[Branden]
> Bitmapped fonts are not copyrightable in the United States.

Thanks.  I guess you would know. (:

> Hinted fonts, because they contain what could be construed as
> algorithmic or programmatic constructs, are copyrightable.

As you guessed, Figlet fonts are quite primitive.  They do have kerning
hints -- Figlet does aggressive kerning, so there exists a "hard blank"
character to enforce whitespace.  I doubt that counts, though, compared
to metafont/truetype hinting, with their sophisticated mini-languages.

So ... next slot of copious free time I get, I'll send patches to the
groovycd maintainer.  Thanks very much.

Peter