Re: Macromedia flash and shockwave

On 29-May-01, 21:02 (CDT), Jimmy Kaplowitz <jimmy@debian.org> wrote:
> First let me mention that I am not a lawyer. That said, I don't see why DFSG
> #8 should affect programs in non-free. I am not taking a position on the
> main topic of this thread, but why would any rules of the DFSG apply to
> non-free? I thought that was the whole point of that (separate) distribution.
> Is there some reason other than the DFSG why a Debian-specific license could
> not be used to put something in non-free?

One concern is that non-free is mirrored, and the permission would have
to apply to those mirrors and all their mirrors, etc.

I don't think there's currently anything in non-free that can't be
*distributed* freely.  If there is, I hope the person who put it there
has read the license carefully and understood all the ramifications.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read