Re: standard fonts and euro

On 15.V.2001 at 15:08 Miros/law Baran wrote:
> 15.05.2001 pisze Anton Zinoviev (anton@lmlserver.bas.bg):
>
> > BTW, Helvetica is registered trademark.  I think XFree86 must get
> > permition to use that and other font trademarks in its modified
> > fonts. That is problem for Debian too.  For example the fonts for ISO
> > 8859-2 in Debian don't use registered trademarks, but use aliases
> > instead.
>
> Because these fonts *are not* Helvetica et al.

Because the vendor of these fonts doesn't have permition from the
trademark holders.  XFree doesn't have such permition too and thats why
it is not allowed to distribute modified fonts with the same font names.
It must aither distribute the original fonts or to stop using font
trademarks.  (The situation is somewhat similar to the LaTeX Public
License.)

> > In my opinion the free software comunity should stop using all
> > registered trademarks, such as helvetica, times, courier, lucida,
> > etc.
>
> Even if these have been donated by the copyright owners?

I didn't mean to stop using these fonts, but to stop using their
trademarks in free programs.  The strings like `-adobe-helvetica-*' must
not be hardcoded in free programs.

I didn't mean that we must stop to use the trademarks like `Linux'. But
free programs *must not depend* on that trademark.  If I am not allowed
to distribute an unofficicial kernel and name it `Linux' that is OK.
But if free programs stop to work because my kernel is not named `Linux'
that is not OK.

Anton Zinoviev, zinoviev@debian.org