Re: standard fonts and euro

On 13.V.2001 at 14:08 Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 04:58:21AM -0400, Wolfgang Sourdeau wrote:
> > I am converting all of my system to ISO-8859-15 and I notice that just
> > the "fixed" font has a 8859-15. It would be great to have standard
> > fonts such as Times, Helvetica, ... be compatible with this encoding.
> [...]
> > Now, it seems that the fonts coming with XFree86 are copyrighted by
> > Adobe. So what are the alternatives for us ?
>
> 1) All of the fonts in the xfree86 source package are freely licensed.
> (N.B., this is not the case with the upstream XFree86 source tarballs.)

BTW, Helvetica is registered trademark.  I think XFree86 must get
permition to use that and other font trademarks in its modified fonts.
That is problem for Debian too.  For example the fonts for ISO 8859-2 in
Debian don't use registered trademarks, but use aliases instead.

In my opinion the free software comunity should stop using all
registered trademarks, such as helvetica, times, courier, lucida, etc.

Anton Zinoviev, zinoviev@debian.org