Re: USA crypto rules and libssl-dependent packages

On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 11:12:34PM -0400, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 10:10:30PM -0400, Brian Ristuccia wrote:
> >
> > Choice 3 is best. People who live in countries where the use of cryptography
> > is restricted are probably subject to being arbitrarily jailed or murdered
> > by their state's government anyway. Going out of your way to provide
> > crippled crypto-neutered versions of things only validates such sillyness.
> >
> What in the world do you mean? I don't think France has arbitrary atrocities
> by the government like you described, and I'm not sure if this is still true,
> but at least until recently crypto was prohibited there.

France's restrictions on crypto use went away back in 1999. Have a look at
http://cwis.kub.nl/~frw/people/koops/lawsurvy.htm
and
http://cwis.kub.nl/~frw/people/koops/cls-dom.gif

for information on places with domestic crypto restrictions.

Most of these places don't have spectacular human rights records. China, for
example, uses tanks against its own civilians and keeps prisoners of
conscience. In a number of the old Soviet states, people with unpopular
political views used to disappear in the middle of the night, never to be
seen again.

--
Brian Ristuccia
brian@ristuccia.com