Re: USA crypto rules and libssl-dependent packages

On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 10:10:30PM -0400, Brian Ristuccia wrote:

> Choice 3 is best. People who live in countries where the use of cryptography
> is restricted are probably subject to being arbitrarily jailed or murdered
> by their state's government anyway. Going out of your way to provide
> crippled crypto-neutered versions of things only validates such sillyness.

What in the world do you mean? I don't think France has arbitrary atrocities
by the government like you described, and I'm not sure if this is still true,
but at least until recently crypto was prohibited there.

But I probably will go ahead with Choice 3. To move my package to non-US, I
need to change the section in my package from "mail" (I know that says mail
and not main, it's not a typo) to "non-US", and file a bug on ftp.debian.org
for the removal of main/althea, am I correct? Also, since the version I would
upload to non-US has a newer version number than the one that would still be
in main, anyone who tries to get althea before the old version is removed from
main would get the one from non-US if they have non-US in their sources.list,
again am I correct?

(Please forgive the hefty paragraph and long sentences.)

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@kaplowitz.org