clarification and suggestion to post anonymously; was Re: request

> So far, only James Miller and Florian Lohoff
> have shown a correct reading of this discussion.
> An explicit OpenContent agreement is indeed
> the way to go.

As a point of clarification, I think postings to a mailing list will be
interpreted to allow archiving.  The affirmative right to retract mail
postings is only available in select moral rights jursidictions and is
seriously constrained (there is very little case law on point).
Additionally you can effect a license without express authorization,
despite your assertions to the contrary.

However, making the the policy explicit may minimize likelihood of any
complaint against Debian and eliminate any possible misunderstandings
for people unfamiliar with the process.  I don't think there is
infringement without it, because mailing list archivers and managers
enjoy a non-exclusive license defined by the reasonable industry
practice.

I also disagree with commentors that an explicit provision would be
counterproductive.  If any single term of a contract is held
unenforceable, other terms may still be enforceable (most contracts,
leases, etc. have such a provision).

I am very sympathetic to author's concerns for their work but as the
many comments reflect participating in open and free discourse has
certain consequences.

Either embrace the rich proliferation of knowledge enjoying some limited
rights over your work, or horde your thoughts in solitude.  I hope you
will see the value of participation.

Ultimately, Sergio and others should consider what their goal is (legal
and otherwise).  If you don't want to have your name popping up all over
make an anonymous email and post with that.  Many authors both past and
present have adopted this strategy to distribute their works while
preserving their privacy.

cheers