Re: Cohen Cite; Moral Right of Retraction!! RE: Email Archive Request

On Tue, May 08, 2001 at 01:39:49AM -0400, James Miller wrote:

> --- Eric Sherrill <sherrill@ti.com> wrote:
>  > Yes, but in the _Salinger_ case, these were
>  > unpublished letters that
>  > Salinger wished to prevent from being published.
>  > Usenet posts and public
>  > mailing list posts are the very definition of
>  > published, widely disseminated
>  > works. Thus I would distinguish _Salinger_ from
>  > _Cohen_, which seems more
>  > applicable to the current discussion.
>
> I agree. I'd also like to add that this presents a problematic
> international comparative problem because in French and other
> Jurisductions recognizing the right of retraction these posts (and some
> much else...) is all subject to retraction, perhaps despite any
> contractural waiver or other assignment of economic rights for copying
> or adapatation..

Hmmm. If a post were retracted, wouldn't that logically (or legally)
necessitate that any other posting in reply to that post also be retracted,
quoted or not? Looking at the mailing lists as a *discussion*, if some
utterance is retroactively taken away, no utterance in response to it could
logically exist.

-- Ferret