Re: diablo license

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Marco d'Itri wrote:

>[Please Cc: me, I'm not subscribed to this list.]
>
>Can somebody confirm that clause 5 is allowed by of DFSG and OSD (on
>the web site the authors states this is open source software)?
>

>			  COPYRIGHT FILE FOR DIABLO
>
>    This entire archive, except for pieces explicitly labeled with another
>    copyright, is (c)Copyright 1996-1999, Matthew Dillon.
>
>    Some portions Copyright (C) 1998-2000 by Joe Greco and sol.net Network
>    Services.  Portions not bearing explicit conditions for redistribution
>    and use are distributed under the terms described in this file.
>
>    Some portions Copyright (C) 2000-2001 by Russell Vincent.
>    Portions not bearing explicit conditions for redistribution
>    and use are distributed under the terms described in this file.
>
>Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
>modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
>are met:
>1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
>   notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
>2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
>   notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
>   documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
>3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
>   must display the following acknowledgment:
>This product includes UNIX software developed by Matthew Dillon and other
>contributors.
>4. Neither Matthew Dillon's name nor the names of other contributors
>   may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
>   without specific prior written permission.

4-clause BSD at this point...

>5. When this software or any work derived from this software is used in a
>   commercial product or bundled with a commercial product, the vendor must
>   also produce the program this software is derived from for either the Linux
>   or FreeBSD operating systems.  The Linux or FreeBSD version of the product
>   must be sold for substantially the same amount of money as the product
>   for other platforms, and the Linux or FreeBSD releases must be kept up to
>   date with the releases for other platforms.

Skating the thin line here.  Discrimination by adding an obligation.
However, additional obligations do not necessarily put it in non-free.
Debian's in the clear, that's for certain.  I'd say offhand that they're
on the right side of the line, but just BARELY...

>THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES,
>INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND
>FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL MATTHEW
>DILLON OR OTHER CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
> SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
> PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS;
> OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY,
> WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR
>OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED
> OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

Typical disclaimer of warranty....

- --

You have paid nothing for the preceding, therefore it's worth every penny
you've paid for it: if you did pay for it, might I remind you of the
immortal words of Phineas Taylor Barnum regarding fools and money?